1. Layer a blue dot A piece atop a pink print B piece; match center marks on curved edges (Diagram 1).
2. Using slender pins and picking up only a few threads at a time, pin at center, then through matching points at each end; pin generously in between (Diagram 2).
3. Sew together pieces, removing each pin just before your needle reaches it, to make an ice cream unit (Diagram 3). Clip the B piece seam allowance as necessary. (Note: Some quilters prefer not to clip curved seams. Instead, they use a longer stitch length and sew slowly, which helps ease fabric layers together.) Press seam toward B piece. The unit should be 5-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
4. Repeat steps 1–3 to make a matching ice cream unit.
5. Using pink print A pieces and green print B pieces, repeat steps 1–3 to make two matching dish units (Diagram 4).
6. Referring to Diagram 5, sew together ice cream units and dish units in pairs. Press seam open. Join pairs to make a block. Press seam open. The block should be 10-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.