Make Notebook Cover
1. Fold gray print 5×12" rectangle in half to make a 5×6" rectangle. Place it atop white print 5×12" rectangle with raw edges aligned (Diagram 1). Using a 1⁄8" seam allowance, sew around three sides that have raw edges, leaving folded edge unsewn, to make outer pocket unit.
2. Sew together outer pocket unit and pink print 12×14" rectangle to make outer cover (Diagram 2). Press seam toward pink print. The outer cover should be 12×18-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
3. Place 14×20" lining rectangle on a flat surface with wrong side up. Layer 14×20" batting rectangle atop lining, then center outer cover atop batting with right side up. Referring to Diagram 3, machine-stitch a vertical line down the center of outer cover and another one between outer cover pieced sections; stitch a horizontal line just above the outer pocket. Trim lining and batting even with edges of outer cover.
4. Fold gray print 12×16" rectangle in half, wrong side inside, to make a 6×16" rectangle. Place it atop solid pink 12×16" rectangle with raw edges aligned (Diagram 4). Using a 1⁄8" seam allowance, sew around three sides that have raw edges, leaving folded edge unsewn, to make an inner pocket unit.
5. Repeat Step 4 using pink print 12×16" rectangle and solid orange 12×16" rectangle to make a second inner pocket unit.
6. Fold an inner pocket unit in half, wrong side inside, to make an 8×12" rectangle. Referring to Diagram 5 for placement, layer folded pocket atop outer cover, matching raw edges on three sides; pin. Sew together along pinned raw edges, leaving folded edge unsewn.
7. Repeat Step 6 with remaining inner pocket unit and opposite edge of outer cover.
8. Using a short zigzag stitch, sew around entire rectangle (Diagram 6). Trim corners and turn right side out; press.
9. Tack down the seam allowance at the top and the bottom of the center fold. Insert notebook to complete notebook cover.