Designer: Joyce Cronkhite
Materials for Pot Holder:
- 9×11" rectangle green dot (pot holder border and hanging loop)
- 9×11" rectangle novelty print (pot holder center)
- 8" square backing fabric
- 7-1⁄2" square insulated batting, such as Insul-Bright
- 8" square cotton batting
- Quilt basting spray
- Chopstick (optional)
Finished pot holder: 7-1/2" square
Quantities are for 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Assemble the Pot Holder:
Cut pieces in the following order.
From green dot, cut:
- 2—1-1⁄2×8" border strips
- 2—1-1⁄2×6" border strips
- 1—2×5" strip
From novelty print, fussy-cut:
- 1—6" square
1. Sew short green dot border strips to opposite edges of novelty print 6" square (Diagram 1). Join long green dot border strips to remaining edges to make pot holder front. Press all seams toward green dot strips. The pot holder front should be 8" square including seam allowances.
2. With wrong side inside, fold green dot 2×5" strip in half lengthwise (Diagram 2). Lightly press, then unfold. Fold long raw edges in to meet at center. Fold at center to hide raw edges, aligning folded edges; press again. Edgestitch double-folded edge. Matching raw ends, fold in half to make a loop; baste.
3. With raw ends to outside, pin loop to top left-hand corner of pot holder front (Diagram 3).
4. Following manufacturer’s instructions, apply basting spray to one side of insulated batting square and cotton batting square.
5. Place insulated batting square, basting spray side up, on a flat surface. Center and top with cotton batting square, basting spray side up. Layer pot holder front, right side up, and backing square, wrong side up, on batting squares to make layered unit (Diagram 4). Stitch through all layers around outer edges, pivoting at corners and leaving a 5" opening along one edge for turning. Trim corners.
6. Turn layered unit right side out. Using a chopstick or the eraser end of a pencil, push out corners. Sew opening closed to complete pot holder.