Assemble and Finish Bag
Click on "Download this Project" for the Half Circle Pattern and tips for making a template of the pattern.
1. Place bag body, front side up, on work surface. Position Half Circle template on bottom edge of bag body. Using a water-soluble marking pen, trace around template curve on bottom edge of bag body (Diagram 9).
2. Move zipper tab to center of bag body. Referring to Diagram 10, stitch a scant 1/4" seam along sides and marked curve on bottom of bag. Trim zipper and bag next to stitching lines.
3. Using diagonal seams, join teal tone-on-tone 2-1/2"-wide bias strips to make a 75"-long binding strip (Diagram 11). Press binding strip in half lengthwise with wrong side inside. Fold in half crosswise and mark center of strip with a pin.
4. Fold bag body in half lengthwise to find center of bag bottom; mark with pin. Match pin at center of binding strip with center of bag bottom. Sew binding to front of bag along side and bottom edges (Diagram 12). Fold binding to back of bag, press, and pin in place.
5. Starting at one end of binding strip and working toward bag, fold long binding strip edges into thirds with raw edges inside. Repeat with remaining binding strip.
6. Stitch along folded binding edges from one end of binding to the other, including around bag body, to make strap and finish bag edge.
7. Determine desired length of bag strap. Tie ends of strap in a bow and trim ends at an angle to complete bag.