Assemble Outer Bag
1. Layer bag front with batting and muslin 9-1/2x12-1/2-inch rectangles. Baste layers a scant 1/4 inch from all edges. Quilt as desired. (Cindy machine-quilted her bag with an allover stipple.) Repeat with bag back.
2. Layer pink print 3-1/2x9-1/2-inch rectangle with batting and muslin 3-1/2x9-1/2-inch rectangles. Baste layers a scant 1/4 inch from all edges to make the bag base. Quilt as desired.
3. Mark center bottom of bag front and back. Mark center of each long edge of the bag base (Diagram 7).
4. Matching centers, sew bag base to bag front and back (Diagram 8). Press seams toward bag base. Topstitch bag base through all layers, about 1/8 inch from seams.
5. Fold both green print 2x18-1/2-inch strips in half lengthwise with right sides inside; stitch along long edges. Trim seams to 1/8 inch and turn right sides out. Press flat and topstitch 1/8 inch from long edges to make two handles.
6. Pin handles to top of bag front and back with ends about 2—1/4 inches from side edges; baste (Diagram 9).
7. Sew bag front to bag back along sides; press seams open. Mark center of each short edge of the bag base with a pin. Fold bag so one pin matches the corresponding side seam (Diagram 10). Stitch across the end of the bag. Repeat with other side of the bag to complete the outer bag.