1. Press short ends of a print 2-1⁄2x42" strip under 1⁄4"; stitch to finish ends.
2. Fold strip in half lengthwise with wrong side inside to create a 1-1⁄4"-wide strip; press.
3. Sew a long gathering stitch a scant 1⁄4" from raw edges, leaving long thread tails (Diagram 7).
4. Gently pull thread tails to gather strip until strip is 1" longer than size of bag body raw edge to make ruffle.
5. Pin ruffle to bag body, aligning raw edges and overlapping finished ruffle ends at bag back center. Adjust gathers evenly. Sew ruffle to bag.